Thursday, February 22, 2024

Walking in the World Week One...

Around Fall of last year I did the Artists Way for the 4th time.  I got quite a bit out of it, and found myself happier and excited during the process.  You can read about that journey HERE.
 
Julia Cameron wrote a follow up book called Walking in the World.  It's in similar context as The Artists Way and has the same 2 tools you're to use every week with the addition of one more.  The Morning Pages and the Artists Date as well as the new one - a Weekly Walk.
 
I attempted this book right after I finished the Artists Way, but found myself not into it.  I figured it was too soon to jump in to something else.  Well, finding myself yearning for creativity again and bitching to my Therapist about it - she suggested I pick it up again.  So here we go!
 
Now - I can't do the Morning Pages.  I cram too much into the morning before I go to work, so try to Night Journal.  I find this relaxing to do just before I go to bed.  I'm trying to work out a routine at night but it's been a bit difficult with my husband's routine so we're trying to work that out - but this week I wrote every night!

My Artists Date was a delightful one!  I decided to take a half day from work to run some errands, then thought - I'm going to take myself shopping after that.  And I'm going to have oysters and champagne!  So that's exactly what I did.  I hit up the Block and went to Market Broiler, sat at the bar and watched the Tennis match while I ate.  I don't shop very often at all, and found myself enjoying shopping this time.  It's rare I like to shop but today was an exception and I did quite well!  Funny side note - while trying on clothes in one of the stores - a ladybug flew out from either the shirt I was trying on, or landed on me and joined me when I walked in the store.  Either way it was now in the dressing room on the light.  I thought, well that little fella will die in here.  So I caught him and put him on my purse and told him to hang tight while I finished trying clothes on.  I then put him in my glasses case and juggled everything into the store.  I told the man I wanted to buy this but I have to go free this lady bug real quick so can you hold it a sec?  He looked at me like I was insane.  I quickly walked out of the store and found a planter where my little friend happily walked right onto a leaf and paused as if to say Thank you!  So that was a delightful rescue.


Had some artichoke too!


The Weekly Walk I find interesting because I basically walk every day.  But I'm going to try to make a point of walking, just by myself, not on my phone, listening to music, and maybe not even bringing the dog...but that probably won't happen because he'd be crushed if I walked without him.  But basically trying to make sure some of my walks are soley focused on walking and not worrying about anything else.  This week's walk that stuck out was the walk back from my mom's after dropping off my dog for her to pup sit.  I slowed my walk as I headed back and took some deep breathes.  Marveling at the beautiful sky.  It was a truly peaceful almost meditative walk.  Really gave me a feel for what I'd like to do at least weekly.
How beautiful is that sky?

Week One is Discovering a Sense of Origin.  It talks of just really getting out there and doing art. Of making a commitment even if it's tiny.  Of taking the time to rest and recharge when you need it.
Tasks were:
"Creative Actions I could take"  Just even small ones.  List 20.
1 - Paint Rocks
2 - Make a Photo Book
3 - Cook out of Kim Joy's Cookbook 
4 - Go to Daiso & get cute letter stuff
5 - Write cute letters to friends
6 - Color
7 - Do a Photo Play Day
8 - Plant Chives
9 - Plant other plants on my porch
10 - Put Succulents in the Clay Pots I made
11 - Host Craft Parties again
12 - Go to a play
13 - Paint Wine Glasses
14 - Make more photo cards
15 - Blog
16 - Write a Haiku for someone
17 - Hang lights on my porch
18 - Decorate my condo with more lights
19 - Wear colorful makeup
20 - Make bookmarks and mail them
I was surprised how hard it was to come up with this list. But I'm already doing number 15!  I will be blogging weekly about my journey.  I also find myself kind of anxious to jump on some of these, and haven't felt that way in a while.

Another task:
List 10 Positive Adjectives about yourself then write an ad for yourself:
1 - Funny
2 - Enthusiastic
3 - Kind
4 - Thoughtful
5 - Social
6 - Active
7 - Compassionate
8 - Strong Willed
9 - Friendly
10 - Caring
 This was also a super hard list to come up with!
Here's my silly ad:
 
"Need a laugh?  A little inspiration?  Listen to Jami's antics through her humorous storytelling!"
 
 Well hopefully I live up to that as you follow along on my journey here!  Or any of my adventures here on my blogspot!

So Week 1 -  CHECK!



No comments: