Thursday, July 25, 2019

Humans are good...

I want to share a little story that happened yesterday, not to brag that my boyfriend and I rescued a fur friend, but how happy it made my heart to see the simplest of things remind me that humans are good.  People have hearts.  People care.  It's so awesome to see the compassion in our world especially right now when it seems like we are constantly only seeing the hatred in today's society.

I had a moment last night after my sweetheart had fallen asleep that I got up and sat on my couch and cried.  Cried from exhaustion and anxiety (this was a day that kind of a lot of shit happened too) but also cried from joy that I got to witness people rally and a situation that really could have turned out fucking horrible didn't.  It's like the universe aligned to get this little pupper back home.

Wednesday night was a normal date night and Pat and I had decided to check out a new restaurant in DTSA.  It was slightly disappointing and we came back to my car to a parking ticket.  I apparently read the meter wrong.  FYI - it's not free after 6pm down there anymore.  Sigh.  We got in the car and I was grumbly and tired from an already emotionally draining day that I won't get to why here.

As we're driving home down Broadway nearing the hill that goes up over the 5 fwy I'm chatting away.  Pat starts to say "Dog...dog..."  My reactions are not as quick as I would have preferred and as I started to comprehend on the third "DOG!"  I see an English Bulldog trotting across the busy street of Broadway like it's no big deal.  Right in front of my car.  She looks at us as she's trotting right in front.  I slam on my breaks, my heart leaping into my throat because there was no way I was not going to hit that dog and I screech to a halt.  THANK GAWD no one was behind me, or to my left when I swayed trying to avoid the dog.  A second later I shriek "DID I HIT IT?!?!"  Nope.  I don't know how I didn't.  The dog appeared on the passenger side of the car like it's no big deal and continued on it's way.  Shaking I threw on my hazards and started to pull over as Pat was already getting out of the car to try to catch the dog.



Next thing I know cars are slowly going around us since we were causing a bit of a jam but no dicks, no honking.  I hear Pat say "Come here!" and next thing I know the dog is thrilled to be hopping in my car.  Pat gets in with the not so light, very loud breathing, very slobbery English Bulldog on his lap.

We turn around and head back to the Flora Park neighborhood that we assume the dog came from and start driving around hoping to find someone looking for a dog.  We asked a few walkers with no luck, but then a group of 20 somethings said they would take a picture and put it on the Nextdoor App.  So we pulled over and one of the boys leaned into the car and snapped a few photos.  He took my name and phone number.  The girl promised the second she got home she'd post it on the app.  We drove around some more, but the dog was needing to get some rest and water and we were needing to figure out what to do.  It was also hot as balls on a humid summer night in SoCal.

I called mom and she agreed to let us come over to feed/water and figure out stuff.  On our way home through slobber and fur Pat and I started calling people, looking online for rescues, etc.

We get to mom's house where the dog promptly hopped out of the car and trotted up to moms front door as if it lived there and waltzed in.  Hilarious.

I posted on Facebook to immediate responses and phone calls.  A friend offered to drive out from Huntington Beach and take the dog to temporarily stay with her until we found a shelter or the owners.  If you leave a message for animal control they call right back.  Before the resolution we probably had about 3 or 4 places the dog could have gone for the night and my anxiety was starting to simmer down a smidge.  Then I got the best phone call - The owner!  She saw the post on the nextdoor app. 

They came over and picked her up - I found out her name is Ms. Bo Jackson and has a tendency to push open their gate.  She also had a tag but it must have fallen off in her adventure.  I was so happy to see such happy relieved pet parents.  It was the best ending.

Pat and I went home and had a drink.



This could have ended so badly.  I could have hit that damn dog.  Someone could have hit me.  They could have been horrible people.  I could go on.

But rather I saw the good in people - the group of kids who instantly were willing to help/post on the app.  My mom who let us crash her house with a very happy/hyper slobberer and figure things out after she had a hell of a day herself.  Anita for offering to drive from Huntington Beach to pick her up and take her temporarily.  All the folks who posted help/links on Facebook minutes after I posted my plea.  To Linda who called and was ready to do whatever was necessary to help.  To my hawk-eyed boyfriend with a good heart who saw the dog and then wasn't about to leave her running around on a busy street.  To all the people we stopped and asked that were so nice and apologetic they couldn't help.

I know this isn't an uncommon story but I think I really needed to see the good again.  It's been a rough go and we're in a rough time right now and the hate is so prominent.  I needed this.  I hope it can give you a little light too when you read this.  People rallied.  People didn't hesitate.  People are good and compassion and empathy are still out there.

Ms. Bo Jackson





Thank you universe for reminding me that Humans are Good!


No comments: