Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Bowling in Laughlin...

So - I was in a bowling league called "Looney in Laughlin". (Yes I know.  Nerd Alert but what else is new?)
We bowled Thursday nights at Linbrook in Anaheim.
I used to bowl in a party league with this crew and I was the captain.  They then moved on to actual bowling leagues over at AMC.  I bowled with them a bit but life got in the way and I didn't bowl for years.  They reached out to me to join up with them again for this season.  SO I did!  There is about 16 or so teams of 3.  Anna, Mel and me were the Bowling Bitches.  Jesse always kept me in drinks.  Seeing those folks along with Sergio, Violet, Carol, Roman, Mary and Antonio was always a great time.  I got to know some of the other bowling folks and tho there were some "eh" peeps - most everyone was rad.  Thursday nights were always a good time.

Now - I'm not a good bowler.  I'm not bad either but I'm super inconsistent.  The league has a range of skills so it's totally cool.  At the end of the season they do their last game in Laughlin.  I thought this was going to be a tournament or something - but nope.  Just the last game.  Ha!  Ok then!  So - this last weekend I did pretty much a turn around trip to Laughlin.

Jesse had points so he got Mel and I free rooms for Fri and Sat night at Aquarius.  (Woohoo!!) This was the hotel next to the one we were going to be bowling in.

I met up with Mel in Fullerton and she let me drive her tiny little Hyundai out to the desert late Friday morning.  4 hours or so later - we were there.

I haven't been to Laughlin since I was a wee thing and dad used to have jet skis.  Lemme tell you - it's really just a place for River Rats and Gamblers.  Like that's really it.  Anna and Sergio have a boat so they're out there all the time.  They were out on the boat pretty much the whole weekend.  I so miss being able to go out on boats.  It was also 110 degrees.  So there went the idea of checking out the local ghost town Mel and I were planning.

Now - I had a fun time for sure, but Laughlin is so not my scene.  It's weird.  The people are weird and kind of rude.  We saw Trump 2020 shirts (barf).  Even one store sold them. UGH!  Lots of relatively unhealthy looking folk slumped on machines starting vacantly as they pushed the buttons and lost more and more money (Did I mention I'm not a gambler?)  Smoke hazed everywhere.  Quite rednecky it seemed.  Also lots of white hairs.  If I was a still a river rat I could so see myself doing it up like Anna and Sergio - out on the boat (or water toys) all damn day and only in the hotels for dinner and sleep.  But thanks to the SAH - I am out of commission for that kind of fun.  But Mel is a great travel buddy and we had a good time amongst the weirdos.

I do love the river and the view was gorgeous off the River Walk.

Remembering River Days
After Jesse checked us in on Friday we grabbed lunch at a not so great cafe and then just hung out in the bar waiting for the boat crew to return for dinner.

Once we all met up we wandered down the River Walk a few hotels over to grab some dinner.  We were heading over to the Golden Nugget and of course saw some random shit along the way:

Mel

Making Friends

Now - I of course had to at least get one cache! I didn't have a Nevada one yet and there's a bunch along the RiverWalk.  But the absurd heat and zillion amount of angry little flying bugs kept me from doing the amount of caching I would have liked to do - but I did get one in and got super made fun of which I expected. Ha!!

My Nevada Cache!
"Why do you do this you weird nerd" was pretty much what they were telling me
Yay!!!  Nevada souvenir acquired!  FYI - I need to find caching travel buddies.  I want to hit up Route 66...THERE'S SO MANY THERE!  Anywhoo...

We were all wanting steak.  And although Laughlin isn't known for delicious restaurants there was one exception - Saltgrass.  Holy shit you guys!  The steak was AMAZING!  I got the "Surf & Turf" which was grilled shrimp and a Ribeye.  Melt in your mouth delicious!!!  Everyone raved about their steak and we all proceeded to destroy our dinners.  The service was also fantastic!  So 2 thumbs up for this place!

So. Damn. Good.

My crew
Mel and I pretty much crashed out after this while most everyone else drank and gambled.  So awesome having a fellow "gramma" to hang with. Ha!

The next morning was our bowling game.  9am at The Riverside Hotel next door.  So, Mel and I loaded up our bowling bags and we schlepped over.

The lanes were way nicer than Linbrook.  But no one really bowled well.  I think it was due to the new environment but it was pretty funny.  We did come in 4th though for that day!

Her girlfriend was playing us and she had this rad clapper that cheered us all on.

The Bowling Bitches
After our game was our awards and closing little ceremony.  We huddled into this little room in the back and trophy's were given to the best team of the season.  They then handed out little envelopes of money for the top 15 bowlers that day.  I got on there and got $30!  Woohoo!!  We were then handed another envelope of money for points throughout the season.  What?!?!?!  We got money!!!  I'm so going to try harder to bowl better next season!!! HA!  They then handed out raffle prizes (We got raffle tickets throughout the season every time we bowled a Turkey!)  I won twice!!  Fun end to a fun season!

Our Mistress of Ceremonies

#1 Team

My winnings
Some of the funnier gals

The entire league (minus those who didn't make it to the desert)
After this our crew all went out on the boat.  Man I wish I could have joined!!!  Mel and I did find a little hidden beach over at Lake Mead though and paid the fee to get in, parked our chairs in the lake and chilled for the afternoon.  It really was beautiful and relaxing and made me miss my river days.



So relaxing
I was hoping to get rid of some of my damn farmer's tan but I was too damn efficient with my sunblock and got no color.  My dermatologist would be so proud.  Sigh.

Before we hit the lake we grabbed burgers at this little hole in the wall that I sooooooooooooo regretted later.  But did get a fun pic of course.

Before the regrets
After the lake we all then met up at a little dive bar for dinner.  Since my stomach was pissed off from the earlier burger I just drank water and had a turkey sandwich.  Lord.  But it was a still a lovely evening razzing each other about the Dodgers vs the Cubs and laughing at the weird drunk people.

Again - Mel and I peaced out early and were up early Sunday morning to head back home.

One last shot of our view. Bye Laughlin
 It was super exhausting to drive that much with only one day in between but I had a great time with great people.  I love this crew and look forward to bowling again next season!




No comments: