Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Tweaks...

My year started off with the loss of one of the most special animal companions I have ever had the honor of being rescued by.  I have grown up with animals, mostly cats, and although I love all creatures I would defiantly deem myself a cat person.

Tweaks was a special cat.  Unlike any other I have met.  My heart is broken at the unexpected way to soon loss of her.  I wanted to write a special tribute to her here.

On September 14th, 2007 I found myself in the Dover Shores Animal Shelter in Costa Mesa.  At the time I was living with my roomate Mark and I had a plan to adopt a pair of cats.  Walking into these places rips me apart because I want to take each and every single sad eyed animal behind those cages home with me.  As I sobbed my way through the shelter saying hello and loving on all the fur friends. My last stop was a corner unit that was more like a door rather than a cage.  I opened it up and a tiny black poof ball lay in the corner.  "Hello" I said then the poof moved and 2 tiny heads appeared.  A solid black one and a Tuxedo one with white whiskers and bright eyes.  The Tuxedo kitten let out a very loud mew and I was instantly in love.

I adopted the 2 sisters, gave them a birthday of May since that would land around the time they were a year old according to the shelter folk and brought them home.

The 1st week they were home with me
As I was sitting in the makeshift cubby I made them the black one was in my lap and the Tuxedo girl was running a muck.  I laughed and said "You are quite the little Tweaker aren't you?!" and bam - the name came.  Tweaks.  Tabitha seemed appropriate for her sister since it went along cute with Tweaks and she was a solid black cat like the witches have.

Her constant expression
As the girls grew up, they were relatively close but tended to become their own little personalities as the years went on.  Tweaks was always the fearless one.  Her bright eyes and white whiskers always made her seem like she was permanently surprised by life.

I started to notice that Tweaks was relatively protective of me.  I know cats can be, but when she started growling anytime someone came to the door I realized I had a cat that was like a guard dog.  She growled at thunder.  She had separation anxiety when I was gone.  It got to the point that if I was gone for more than one night I would have to have someone stay at my house.

She loved lotion and smells.  She got to know my morning routine and when I put on my Oil of Olay face lotion she'd run in and want me to pet under her chin so she could lick it off.  When I lived with my roomate she would rub on him when he'd put on cologne.

Loved her some Axe
Every time I would walk in my door - EVERY. DAMN TIME.  She would run to greet me then flop over so I could rub her belly.

Just like this
She absolutely loved to be "in" things.


Where a drawer was

In my old laundry basket

In a box

Always in a box

She loved bags

In my shopping bag
Whenever I would do laundry she was in the laundry bag as soon as I dumped.  Every. Time.

Laundry Day Routine
Every week day morning when I would be in the kitchen making my breakfast and lunch she would sit in the living room and chat with me.  I'm not kidding.  We had entire conversations.  On weekends I usually find myself enjoying a cup of coffee on my couch and she'd be right at my side purring and head butting my coffee as I tried to not spill.

Typical weekend morning
She was constantly where I was.  I mean always.  If I napped, she came in and napped with me.  When I was on the couch watching TV she was there with me.  Whatever room I'm in - she's there.

When I tried to craft

When I tried to wrap presents

When I tried to do yoga

When I thought I was alone
Always. There.
She was so gloriously fat and fluffy and she loved her tummy rubbed.  Only by me of course.

So fat

This happened all the time
All the time

 She loved to drape across the top of the couch with her paws hung over.

Toe Beans
She was in tune to my emotions.  If I was mad, she could tell.  Sad, she knew.  If I was happy she was a purring machine.  One time my friend watched her run into the kitchen after I had a temper melt down and started almost crying, she ran in and through my legs and meowed worriedly.  When I sat on the couch to cool down she was next to me head butting and meowing.  My friend looked at me in awe and said "Is your cat in tune with your emotions?!".  Yes.  Yes she was.

She was my baby.  A total mama's girl.

She started losing weight, but nothing of note.  She felt fine was eating, etc.  But a few days before New Year's Eve I knew something was wrong.  She wasn't feeling good.  Then she wasn't eating.  I took her in Sunday the 30th and they did a slew of test/bloodwork/etc.  They called me on the 31st with devastating news.  Her kidneys were failing.  Kidney disease is common in cats but it was so fast.  They gave her a cocktail of drugs, fluid therapy, etc that day.  The plan was if she perked up we could take a hospitalization route.  If she didn't perk up, well, we know.  And that's what happened.  New Years Eve, all that night, New Year's Day and all that night I was curled up on my loveseat couch with her crying and loving on her for the last time.  Her sister was hiding in the back of the house, hissing at her whenever she'd come in.  I guess animals sense when one is sick.  So that was quite stressful as well.  I took one last photo of her during our last cuddle time.

I never stopped petting her
Wednesday morning on January 2nd, my vet and a tech came to my house and I held her in my arms as I let her go.  My dear friend Stacey was at my side and it's a brutal memory that will be seared in my mind forever.  I was happy that I decided to do a house call though.  I wanted so badly for her last moments to be peaceful.

My heart is so sad and broken and I'm so devastated to have lost such a special friend.  But I am truly grateful for the few days I was able to spend with her to say goodbye.

I loved her so very much.

Tabitha has been much more present and loving as of late and I'm sure (even though she seems not to) she misses her sister.

It's not the same without her.  I'm so used to both of the girls being around, especially Tweaks who was ALWAYS around.  Now it's just me and Tabitha and there's a loneliness that  hangs in the air.  I know it will pass, but it's so hard right now.  I've told Tabitha multiple times lately that she needs to stay healthy for a very long time.


There will be a hole in my heart that can never be filled but I am so grateful for the years we had together. She brought so much love and joy into my life.  I will miss you so much my precious girl.




Love your fur babies a little harder my friends.  They're time with us is always way to short.




No comments: