Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Random things...oh and I'm 41 now...

A couple of weeks ago mom and I attended the Junk Bonanza.

This has been on mom's bucket list for quite some time apparently and she adores the women who run this thing and are the editors of a Flea Market magazine.

It was down in Del Mar, she booked us a hotel room near the place and we were set to go.

Unfortunately it was one of the worst rainstorms to smack SoCal.  But - we went anyway.  The actual event was way smaller than both of us thought and rather than coming back on Saturday like we planned we hit the whole thing on Friday.  Mom bought some stuff.  I enjoyed watching her giddy as a school girl and the highlight was watching her totally fan girl out meeting the ladies who run the thing.

I'm all about photo booths

She was so damn ecstatic.  It was adorable.  The ladies were also so very sweet.

I was very disappointed to find out I couldn't actually have any wine but this was rather a display

This couple rents out a bunch of trailers for parties and events. Seriously...can I have some of that wine please?

We signed up for a mini class that said "Chalk Painting".  This did not mean me making a chalkboard like I originally thought.

Yup, that's my red board.  Not a chalkboard.  I took it home and plan to try to pretend I'm crafty and do something





Another big thing that happened last month was my boss - Carol - retired.  This blow came to us a few months ago and her party was, get this, on my damn birthday.  Yup.  Thanks EVP for ruining my birthday and scheduling Carol's retirement party that day.

This has been quite emotional for me, as I've never worked for someone as amazing as Carol.  I'm coming up on my 7th year here at Chapman and Carol and I have developed a wonderful friendship.  But on top of that, she has helped me grow as not only an employee but as a better person.  She was always super supportive in everything I did.  When I tried Math for a nano second - she bought me a Math for Dummies book.  She came to my shows and posted my reviews on her office door.  She comforted me when I'd burst into tears, scared for a scary medical procedure.  She visited me when I was recovering in 2012.  She hugged me and got miffed when I'd lament about yet another shitty date.  We'd get into long discussions about politics, people and life.  We of course are still going to get together at least once a month for dinner but there is an empty void here now that she's gone.  I miss her so much and I know I'm going to continue to miss her.

Her retirement party was really sweet.  So many people for all over campus were there.  There is a damn big hole in Chapman University now that she has left.

Someone put together a big scrapbook for her.  A few of us close to her got to do our own page. 

I rallied the old Ops Team to pitch in and mom and I put together this awesome retirement gift for her.  I was pretty damn proud of myself I must say.


So in the middle of all of this was my birthday.  I did a few random things.  The day before mom took me and Becks out to lunch at Paris in a Cup and we had high tea!


She then showered me with presents like she always does.  Thanks mom!

After Carol's retirement party a handful of us co-workers went to the Circle to drink our sorrows and toast my birthday.  We hit Provisions then The Wall.  I was not in top form so didn't take any pictures, but thank you Hallie, Taylor, Marc, Chris, Michele, Anna, Rachel, Melissa and Cristina for being there!

The Saturday of my birthday weekend was one of our Photo Play Dates through the photo group I've created.  We hit The Huntington Botanical Library and Gardens.  It was a really great day and lifted my spirits so much.  At one point I stepped back and watched everyone taking different pictures and had a proud mama moment.  I'm so glad this little group is working out!  I posted my pics from the day on my Photo Blog.

Yay Photo Play Date!
 Later that night my dad, Lori, Lib and her little met me at Prime Cut Cafe for my birthday dinner.  I threw together just a small family dinner since the week was a bit rough and I was craving a steak.  Thank you Dad for picking up that tab and to everyone for making it a really lovely way to end my birthday week!

Fam Bam

No comments: