Sunday, February 12, 2017

Old Town Orange Food Tour...

Chapman has a staff party every Christmas and this year I won 2 tickets to the Old Town Walking Food Tour. I was of course thrilled because - FOOD!

The only bummer is my damn phone was apparently not taking pictures like I thought it was so I don't have very many. *Grumble*

Anyhoo -

My fellow foodie/wine lover friend Tianna joined me.  We were to meet in the Starbucks in Wells Fargo Bank at 10:45am.  We arrived and sat around waiting for our guide to show up trying to guess who was here for the tour.

Linda arrived and was a wacky bubbly woman who was the perfect food tour guide. She gave us a run down of how she got involved then told us a bit of history about the bank we were in.  The funny thing...I've been in there a million times and never looked up at the ridiculously beautiful ceiling.  Note to self - take in your surroundings more!  She told us about how there was a supposed bank robbery here way back in the day and pointed out a window that a hired sharp shooter waited for him to come back.  So random and cool!

Linda our Tour Guide


We headed out - about 16 of us - to our 1st stop which was Francoli Gourmet.  This is one of my favorite spots!  We were told we could purchase a glass of wine for $5 (normally $12-$15) um yeah!  What was awesome was I think every single person in the group got one.  I already love our group.

Starting the day of with wine!  Hell yeah!
The owner came out and chatted with us about the history of Francoli.  Everything in the place is from Italy from the floors to the bar.  Linda told us that the owner loved the ceiling at John Wayne airport so he modeled his after it as well.  We all got our wine (I'm only having white for a couple of weeks) and they were outstanding!  All there wines are Italian wines and you can come in and buy bottles if you like.  We also learned you can come in and buy olive oil!!  I may be coming back here when I get paid.  We were brought  large  roma tomato with mozzarella and aged balsamic.  The typical Caprese.  So yum!  We then got a delish mini bowl of pesto pasta.  Yum!!!!

That pasta was damn good!
This was by far the best stop!

We then headed over to Felix's.  This is a popular Cuban joint a lot of folks are fond of.  I don't eat there often but it's damn good!  There was a long table set up outside with a small plate containing an empanada and a fried plantain.  This was a photo that didn't come out.  But it was yummy!
There's a cigar shop right next door and there's always these regular dudes that sit out there smoking cigars and chatting.  One of them came over while Linda was in the shop and told us to sing her Happy Birthday when she came out.  We did so and she laughed saying he always does that and her birthday is actually in December.  Obviously part of the tour but I love that she includes the old regular at the Cigar joint! ha ha!!

Around this time while we were walking Linda filled us in a bit on the history of the plaza.  One of the things I didn't realize was the story behind the Marine banners. I've seen them around all the time but learned that they are all marines currently over seas.  They change them out regularly.  But if one dies in the line of duty that banner will always stay up.  Pretty cool.

Next stop was Paris in a Cup
We all sat out in the front at the little round tables and were given a chocolate macaroon and a little cup of Ninas Valentine tea.  So delish!!!   One of the waitresses came out and gave us a little history of the joint and then we were given time to mill around in the little gift shop.  Tianna bought a pack of macaroons and I took an adorable photo of her but nope - was one that didn't take.  Sigh.

After this we headed to the middle of the plaza and Linda chatted about the history.  I was getting a kick out of the fact that apparently there's a battle whether to call it The Plaza or The Circle.  All us locals who grew up here call it The Circle but apparently historians get pissy and say "It's the Plaza!"

We headed down the other side of Glassel and Linda paused to play a harmonica and sing a poem she wrote.  Hysterical.  Took a photo...didn't take.  I need a new phone.

The next two stops were stores.  We went into this store that has a bunch of native american stuff, sage, scents, soaps, etc.  Sort of a hodge podge of shit.  It's been there forever and I'm total jack ass because I forgot the name.  Next was Tidlywinks.  This is a darling toy store that's been in The Circle forever as well.  At this store after everyone shopped we got raffle tickets to win a toy.  Um guess who won?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
The gal came out and gave a history on the store and it was pretty interesting.  But I must say - these store stops were disappointing.  I felt we spent too much time there.  I mean, it's a food tour.  I wanted to sample food not shop.  I wish we just popped in and out if we had to stop at the stores, but whatever.  I won a game of Tidlywinks.

Next up was Provisions. I love this place.  It's a tad over priced but it's a great place to come for drinks and some snacks.  They apparently have great beers.  Being a wino they don't have as much of a selection but a great place for all you beer folks.  Here we  got a little sample of beer and some meat and cheese.  I gave my beer to one of our group members since I'm not much of a beer drinker.  Cute glass though.  I wanted to steal it.

Baby Beer

Next up was the Pie Hole.  I've actually not been here yet.  We got a little slice of a lavender strawberry pie.  It was super sweet but good!  We also got a free coffee card.  Apparently the proceeds from the coffee purchases help an organization that helps women who run the household.  So that's cool!  Took a pic of that...guess what.  yup.  Sigh.

After this we headed over to our last stop which was Citrus City Grille.  Here we all sat down at huge table.  We got quite a bit here.  The bread with the dipping sauce which is always delicious!  Then we got some Butternut Squash Soup and a Tri Tip Melt.  Yum!

I love food

Love this girl
Linda then passed out heart shaped cookies since we're near V-Day and gave Tianna and I surprise birthday cards since we had the closest birthdays coming up.  It was so cute!

I told her I was named after the Bionic Woman
 We had such a great group too!  There were 4 women that giggled the whole time.  These two ladies that Tianna and I sat with a few times and totally reminded me of my mom and Keri.  Super sweet.  A bunch of couples - all cool.  One couple has a son thinking of attending Chapman so Tianna was talking up her Alma Matter.  There was another couple we sat with a couple of times and the man was seriously one of the most polite men I've ever met!  Always handing plates/samples to everyone else first.  Chivalry is not dead folks!  So awesome to have such a great group!

All in all it was super fun!  Tianna and I walked from my house so we got some good walking in that whole day.  Linda was a great guide.  All the food was yummy and I learned a bit more about my hometown.  One of my favorite prizes I've won!!  Definitely two thumbs up!




No comments: