Thursday, November 12, 2015

Starting a new show...

Here I am again!  2nd show of the year!

This one will be much different than my last one.  I've gone from an emotionally ripping role of a suicidal Ophelia to Dixie Troobaloo in the upcoming Melodrama called "Rod McGirdlebutt Strikes Back or The Sun Sets on the Cyclone Race one last time".  Yeah.  Totally other end of the spectrum!

I was looking for something light and funny to do after the last show (Not that I didn't love every second of Slings and Arrows) so I can keep a nice balance of drama and comedy.  Well - I saw the audition notice pop up for this and thought "Hmmmmmmm".

I normally wouldn't do a show out in Long Beach.  The drive is a bear but when the writer/director Jamie Sweet told me that the show only rehearses twice a week until tech then runs only 3 weekends I thought "Why not?!"  Plus it will be so cool to do a show that my friends kids can come see!

I was a bit nervous for the auditions since I haven't auditioned for anything in a while.  But Jamie and I went to OCC together a zillion years ago and he knows what I can do onstage.  The audition was quick and painless and he emailed me the next day saying "You're the heroine Dixie Troobaloo"!  Yay!!  I'm the heroine!!!

Super excited!

I've had four rehearsals now and I'm starting to feel a little less like the new kid on the block.  The show is being held at The Garage Theatre in Long Beach.  A lot of the roles are being played by actors who have played the roles multiple times in the past years.  So again - a bit nervous to be stepping into a tight knit group.  I do know a few of the folks.  Jamie of course.  Then Paul Knox is playing Lucifer Prince (One of the 2 villains) and we've known each other for years.  Then there's Matthew Julian and Thomas Amerman who I met when I worked with the Post Mortem Burlesque group.  Matthew is playing my high school sweetheart Jim Joe Bob Louie the 4th (He's already hilarious) as well as part of the big 3 (Oil, Money, Power I think?  Otherwise known as Mickey Mouse, Ronald Regan and Elvis).  Thomas is playing Gus Palooka (A funny little old man).  The other three newbies are Calli Dunaway - she's playing Tricia LaRue the sassy little gal (Her voice is adorably perfect) and Jerica Bornestein whose playing Auntie Palooka.  This is her 1st time acting (I guess she usually stage manages) and she's a kick!  Emily ODell is playing the Regan of the big 3 and Frenchitta, the sarcastic cop.  All three gals are Garage Regulars but new to the show I think.  The rest of the crew is all reprising their roles I believe.  Joe Howells is Ian Sidious - the other villain - and is a total hoot.  Sally Linh is Ging Pao and is cute as a button.  Jeff McGuinness is the Professor and the last of the big 3.  Rob Young is the hero Rod McGirdlebutt (Saying Rod/Rob has become a challenge) and last but not least is Maribella Magana as the Scrufflepicklewickle.  Yup you read that right.  As you can just tell by the title and characters this show is going to be a hoot!  Oh and PS there is also a talking alligator!

I took a few rehearsal shots:

Bubbles at our 1st rehearsal!

Tricia La Rue and Ian Sidious

The Palookas and Ian Sidious

Our hero Rod McGirdlebutt and the Scrufflepicklewickle


Ging Pao and Frenchietta

Our adorable Stage Manager Jessica Cooks filling in with Mari

We're just getting into it but already some super funny stuff is coming out!  Something else that is new for me this time is Jamie has pre blocked the show.  I'm not used to this method at all.  When he said we were working on blocking the other night I was ready to get up onstage and start figuring it out but instead he has it all pre-blocked!

Jamie giving us our blocking

I know some actors prefer that and others prefer to figure out as you go along.  I'm so used to figuring it out this will be a new experience for me (Or at least I haven't done it in so long I don't remember) so we'll have to see if I prefer one way or the other!

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of Improv which makes me a bit nervous since I'm a stick to the script girl but it's so fun I'm hoping I'll be ok!  Melodramatic acting is it's own skill.  It's not an easy task to be good at "bad acting".  This whole cast seems to be on their game for the most part with timing and delivery which pleases me to no end!  You all know what a comic snob I am.  It's super silly and super wacky and so far quite hilarious!

We also have a kick as costume gal named Cat Elrod.  Check out my rendition for Dixie:

Squueeeaa!!!  Can I keep them!


I look forward to getting off book so we can really start playing with the characters!  It's been a long time since I've done a show where a lot of the rehearsal is working out or adding "bits".  Yay comedy!!




No comments: