Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I always wanted to be that girl in the rock music video...



 
Yup.  I was born in 1976 which put me right at the teenage age during the hair band years.  My bedroom wall used to be plastered with magazine photos pulled out of Teen Beat, Bop, Big Bopper, Spin, Metal Edge, Rolling Stone, Powerline, Rip, Hit Parader Circus and I’m sure many others.  I had huge crushes on the Motley Crue, Poison, Warrant boys.  I loved Ratt, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Alice & Chains, Def Leopard, KISS, Bon Jovi – dare I go on?

You know you bought these too...

This was the time of lots of hair, boys wearing makeup, power ballads – OH MY GOD THE POWER BALLADS - , drugs, and music videos, these music videos usually consisting of shots of the bands on tour, at concerts, with the hot model girlfriends dancing on the sidelines.  Oh how I wanted to be one of those girlfriends.  I was in love with Vince Neil and Nikki Six and Brett Michaels and even Duff from GNR. 

So hot

The videos like Home Sweet Home, Every Rose has its Thorn, November Rain made me cry.  I knew how they felt!  They touched my soul.  My heart.  My little angsty teenage raging hormones not knowing what the fuck was going on with anything in life anywhere but I was angry.  I was a rockstar!  These are my people!  

Why can't I be her!!!??

I met a DJ from KNAC.  He was older and cool and his name was Poundin Pat.  He did a late night show on the radio and I would listen to his show every night because once in a while he would do a shout out to that cute little gal Jami in Orange.  That was me!!  I was so cool!!!  A real DJ on the radio knew who I was!

My mother had put me in piano lessons and I was quite good but that wasn’t nearly cool enough!  I wanted to be in a metal band.  I took to drums.  God love my dad who paid for me to have private drum lessons and my poor mother who put up with me wailing on the drums in my bedroom to Metallica.  When I wasn’t pretending to be the next Lita Ford I was sitting in my bean bag chair in the middle of my black room (Yup, the parts of the wall that weren’t papered in rockstars was black) with my black light on and my little disco spinning light thing fried out of my mind listening to Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead and wishing someone would understand my misery.

I want to be her!!!

The bands did!  They understood!  My life was just like theirs!  I should be a groupie or in a band traveling from town to town experiencing it all!  Why are the girlfriends always models?  Why can’t they date normal girls like me?  I cried with the others when a rockstar over dosed, or a child was lost, or something horrible happened as if they were my family.  I lived in this rockstar fantasy world for years.

Um I was totally gonna make this my wedding dress!
 Of course I grew up.  I grew out of that phase.  Tore down the pictures.  Started to enjoy music for talent not hair and makeup.  Found a home in theatre.  Re-painted my room a lighter color (took a lot of coats!) I still love the music.  Hard rock is great for working out.  Rock Ballads will always have a special place in my heart.  Chemical Romance Black Parade is a modern day version and I love it!  I’m nearing 40 now and music and me have married into a beautiful relationship.  I may not be head banging in my black bedroom in my mom’s house anymore or screaming with the other teenage girls at rock concerts trying to convince the band that I should be up there with them playing or dancing on the sidelines but they will always have a little place in my heart.

In fact – side note – I met Eric Turner from Warrant randomly at Toms Farms on our way to wine tasting.  The man now sells wine.  I may have blogged about this a while back but let’s just say that was a rad moment that shot me back to my teenage years as I stood there with his arm around me giddy as all hell that I’m standing next the one I actually crushed on the hardest in Warrant!  Seriously...Erik Turner...arm around me...touching me....!!!!!

Um.  DYYYIIINNNGGGG!

To this day, when one of those songs comes across my shuffle on my iPod (In fact that's what sparked this blog), I’m taken back to that time in my life and I smile.  I totally still wish I could have been one those girls in the music video.

No comments: