Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Napa Day 4...


I can’t believe it’s already day 4 of our vacation!  Half way through already!!!  We were going to be ambitious and get up and get a walk in this morning but sleep prevailed.  We got up eventually, packed and headed into San Francisco!
The drive into San Fran was just gorgeous!  We saw a bunch of spots we made mental notes to hit on the way back.  As we approached the Golden Gate I found myself getting a bit nervous again to head over a bridge.  We passed some “pay the toll online” booth (which I’ll have to figure out later) and onto the bridge.  It was fine.  I guess the Oakland Bridge freaked me out because it went up.  Golden Gate was beautiful and there was a pretty thick fog so that helped me not get too nervous.  Lib snapped a few shots as we drove over.



We sailed in without hitting any traffic and found our hotel.  It was a Travelodge that my travel agent friend had booked for me.  I had asked her to book something walking distance from Pier 39 because our plan was to just park there and not use the car until we left on Thursday.  We couldn’t check in since it was so early but our car could be parked and stay there which was great.
Off to Fisherman’s Wharf to wander. 






We had found ourselves pretty hungry since we sort of ate a rushed small breakfast so we hit Boudin upstairs and sat at almost the same table we sat at 2 years ago.  Since oysters aren’t in season I opted for Mussels and a small bread bowl of clam chowder.  So yummy!!!  I also got a glass of the house Cab.  Lib got the same chicken thing she got last time and said it was a good as she remembers!




After enjoying our lunch and the spectacular view we wandered over to Pier 39.  Lib hit the NFL store and I was sad to find the bath salt place I loved was gone.  We took a few shots.

Alcatraz


I just loved this flag someone had on their boat!




We said our hellos to the Sea Lions.  There weren’t as many as usual.

Now over to Ghirardelli Square.  I shot some pictures along the way:

Playing with my Action setting


We hit up the whole point of our visit to San Fran – Kara's Cupcakes.  Libby excitedly picked out her cupcake and we made quite the ta-do of her 1st bite.  She ended up buying 4 to go and I went ahead and got three.  A flourless chocolate, a Java and a chocolate.  Yum!!!! 



We then headed into the Ghirardelli shop and I bought some candy bars and Lib got an iced mocha thing that tasted like ice cream.  The place was a bit crowded and crazy so we didn’t stay there too long.


It was buy 4 get one free.  Um ok!

It was about time we could probably check into our hotel so back we went.  The place was a shit hole.  I longed for our condo in Napa!!!  There were weird stains on the wall and something on the chair we didn't want to identify.  We started cracking jokes about peepholes and murders but we did get the place for the location not the amenities.  Boy did we.

Off again.  We decided to wander up Columbus and realized Lombard “Crookest Street” was within walking distance and since Libby had never been – off we went.  The hike up the hill killed most folks but actually made Lib and I feel good to actually be doing a little bit of exercise.  When we got to the top the mob of people was ridiculous!  I could not believe the amount of rude people, blocking the street, being oblivious to those around them, etc.  We walked up anyway, shoving our way through and the view was as spectacular as I remember.  We snapped some shots and hurriedly went back down.

Rad van outside out digs.


Practicing for Spartan



FYI all these selfies up close are take by Lib :)

It was cool to see but a bit of a bummer.  I told Lib the stories of how I had driven down it and how it used to not be so crazed.  We headed back to Columbus and wandered some more.  When I realized where we were as we walked into Washington Square I called Terri to throw some recommendations our way.  She suggested Cafe Trieste which she said you could have coffee but not buy any.  We found it and they did have little small packs so I grabbed her one as a surprise.  Cute little place.  We then headed over to City Lights Books and Publisher which I have always wanted to check out since it was Allen Ginsburg’s publisher and a total open minded political bookstore.  So rad!!!  We wandered through and I grabbed a 50th edition copy of Clockwork Orange and Charles Bukowski’s Pulp. 
Then T had told us about Vesuvio.  This was a popular bar during the beat nick generation!  Jack Kerouac and all those cats used to come here!  It was a super rad bar!!  The walls were covered with art and posters. It was a dive but such an awesome dive!!  I sat there and took in the surroundings rambling to Libby about how were sitting in the same place that all those artists and writers would come and philosophize about life!  We had a couple of drinks and just took in the place.  We chatted with the very chill bartenders and I took just a couple of shots:



I purchased a few postcards and we went on our way.

I swung into a little shop to grab an iced tea since I was sweatin like a whore in church and they had this super cute plant wall thing!  Little plants were growing out of the moss.

 After that we headed down Columbus and happened upon The Underground.  This is a total deadhead store.  Of course Libby went right in.  The smell of incense burning in the store made me nostalgic for my old hippie days.  I’m half tempted to buy myself an incense burner and start doing that again, but sadly I would surely set off my smoke alarm in my tiny little shipping crate I live in.  The man immediately took a liking to us when we were so apparently into this stuff due to nostalgia and not trends.  He started chatting with us and told us about how he’s been struggling to keep this store alive.  He has another few over on Haight of course, but this was one that he refuses to let die.  He went on to talk a bit about politics and fighting the machine.  My past was just swimming up around me.  God I remember those days!!!!  Lib purchased a darling T-shirt and as we were checking out he said he had something for us.  He gave us each a love stone and said back in the 60’s/70’s they used to give love beads.  Since we were both “Obvious hippie chicks” he felt we should each have one.  Very sweet and very cool.  “Keep fighting the good fight my friend!” we said as we headed out.




Taking pictures while we walked:


We got another good recommendation from T that there was a fantastic Chinese place just around the corner called House of Nanking Chinese.  We were in.  Sure enough there it was.  I guess usually the place is packed and you’re sat at long tables with random people but we were there early enough and got a little 2 topper in the corner.  Very cool little place you could tell has been around for a long time.  We got some chow mein and pot stickers to share and they were so good!  The chow mein wasn’t like anything I’ve had before.  Very unique and very good.  I ordered a shrimp dish that had a bit of a kick and I couldn’t finish and Lib got some sesame chicken that was really yummy!

We got back to our hotel and realized it was still pretty early (Bout 8ish) and still so light out, so we headed back over to Ghiradelli Square.  I remember a wine tasting place from our last visit.  That place wasn't there anymore but there was a new one.  Wattle Creek Winery.  It was a full tasting room and an outdoor seating area where we could drink our wines.  This turned out to be perfect.  The wines were awesome!  I bought two bottles.  A Pinot Noir and a blend.  Libby enjoyed just a glass of white and we sat outside where a street performer was playing the violin with some new agey music in the background.  It was just lovely!  We sat out there, enjoying the music and sipping our wine.  I felt so grateful and my heart just burst with joy.  I teared up a bit now that I cry at the drop of a hat, but they were tears of happiness.  We tipped the musician and headed out.

Back to our hotel we went tired and happy.

No comments: