Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Word Theatre...

I work at Chapman.  They always have all kinds of things going on around here, especially when school is in session and I'm trying to be better at paying attention and getting my ass out there to attend some of these things.  Especially the free ones!  I asked COPA to add me to their invite list.  I actually read the "Happenings" emails that go out.  And boy am I glad I did because I was introduced to something called Word Theatre.  Hello awesome.

The mission statement for Word Theatre is To open up new ways of thinking about words, stories, and people through powerful and entertaining performances that bring contemporary literature to life.

A group of Chapman folk have pulled together and made it happen here at Chapman for the first time.  I saw the email go out toting Lesley Nicol who plays Mrs. Patmore on Downtown Abbey.  UM HELLO!!!!!  I'M SO THERE!

I shot a text to Ber and she jumped on it as well.  So last night, here is what we experienced.

Ber met at my house and we walked in the warm summer night over to Chapman.  I don't live too far and thought it would be a nice walk since I was skipping my Boxing Burn class for this tonight.  Aside from a pair of fat chihuahua's chasing after some crows and giving us a mild heart attack it was a lovely walk.  We arrived early and were told to hang out in the hallway or outside while they were sound checking.  It started filling up and getting a bit stuffy when they finally let us all into the Interfaith Center at Chapman.  Ber and I made a bee line for the front row and were off to the side, but still front.  Awesome.  I had originally planned on taking some photos throughout but it would have been rude from where we were sitting so I opted out.  Plus Richard Bausch (one of our distinguished professors) and the author of the readings Jill McCorkle sat directly behind us.  The place was packed and I believe people were actually standing in the back as well.

The eccentric woman, whose name I didn't catch but I believe she was the Word Theatre chick, introduced the evening.  She was a bit odd and over dramatic but what artist isn't right?  Then President Doti did an introduction which as per usual was lively and lovely.  Ber was impressed.  Then the evening began.

First up was Cassidy Freeman.  I was not familiar with this actress but the program stated she was best known for Smallville and Longmire.  She read a short story called Crash Diet.  Fantastic.  She actually was my favorite of the night.  She was so at ease and natural as she read.  She gave different voices to all the characters she portrayed (A hilarious southern drawl priss for the mother was hilarious).  The piece was about a woman whose husband cheats on her and they end up divorcing.  It goes on to talk about how this woman deals with it in the most humorous but touching fashion from "not cheating on her diet" to buying 5 shopping carts full of stuff from a Revco using the ex husband's credit card.  Cassidy was awesome.  I could not take my eyes off her and found myself laughing and nodding and even tearing up a few times as if I was sitting there chatting with a friend.

Up second was actually one of our Chapman Theatre students by the name of Desirae Whalen.  She read about a 15 minute piece about a hard shelled young girl who prefers the company of dogs over people and actually refers to men as "breeds".  This was also a touching yet humorous piece.  Desirae was a bit nervous but hell so would I if I just followed Cassidy and was before Lesley!  But the gal was great.  I also got a kick out of the fact that she also had a little fan club in the back corner cheering her on.  Awesome.

We then had a 10 minute intermission.  The eccentric gal had mentioned that not only was the author signing books afterwards but the actors as well, so I flew to the back to try to buy a book but the line was too long and our intermission was only 10 minutes.  The only disadvantage of being in front.  I did get all signed up on the Word Theatre's email list though!

Beginning the second half was Miss Lesley Nicol.  First off - she's so teeny!  She read a piece entitled Intervention.  It was the longest of the short stories read that evening and the most touching I would say.  Don't get me wrong - it was chalk full of humor as were the rest - but this one had a more serious tone.  It told the story of an older couple whose family wanted to stage and intervention due to the amount that the man drinks.  But the story unfolds and takes some different twists and turns and touches your heart.  The love that these two people have for each other is so simple and sweet.  Lesley of course read it beautifully, also giving different voices to the characters which I loved.  She also made eye contact with the audience.  A lot.  Every time she looked at me I had a little rush of excitement.  A very sweet piece.

Lastly was the author herself read a short little monologue about a retired school teacher and the problems she had with the kids in today's times.  This piece was the funniest and had the audience rolling in their seats.  The only downfall was the woman is obviously a writer, not an actor and would not hold for laughs.  I can't wait to go back and read that one again knowing I missed some gems.  She read it brilliantly though and sounded exactly like I'm sure this woman was.

As soon as it was done I flew to the back again and found myself third in line to get myself a book.  Amber hopped in line behind me and we each bought a different book so we can swap later.  Here's the shot that ended up being my Photo a Day.





Amber and I excitedly got in line to have our books signed and I enjoyed watching the start struck students giddly oooo'ing and aaaahhh'ing over the ladies.  I of course was practicing over and over in my head what I was going to say.

See, I have this problem when I get around people who are famous, gorgeous, smart, oh hell pretty much anyone and I turn into a complete and total dork.  You lovely readers of mine may think "Jami, what are you talking about?  You are an extrovert and usually won't shut the hell up with how much you talk!"
Yes, this is true, IF I KNOW YOU.  When I don't know you I'm actually shy and have a hell of time trying to think of what to say.  But yes, give me a few minutes and I'll talk your ear off.  But in the case of situations like book signings where you only have a brief moment to chat the person up I fail.  Big.

So we get up to the front and I start with Jill.  She asks my name and I spell if for her, smiling like an idiot.  Ber comes up next to me and starts with Cassidy and Lesley.  I have my phone out because I'm dying to snap a photo and I'm trying to find the right time.  And of course the words.  (Ironic I'm at a thing called Word Theatre and I can't get words to come out of my mouth).  So I just stand there, smiling like an idiot and keep telling them that their great.  I seriously think I said great like 100 times.  They seemed so cool too!  I probably could have actually had some really great brief convo with them if I wasn't such a dumbass.  But as soon as they finished signing our books and the eccentric now slightly grumpy woman is moving people along I ask if I can snap a quick shot.  And I caught this amazing-ness:







Seriously.  These women were so awesome!

So, Ber and I giggled like little schoolgirls, clutching our books and hurrying out the door, started the walk back in the now beautiful summer night.  We laughed and joked about what dorks we are and what a great evening that was.

I'm looking forward to reading my new book then swapping with Ber and reading that one too.  I actually need to start gathering all my signed books (I'm collecting quite a few now!) and display them properly.

I really am so grateful to get to have experiences like this and be in the presence of some great art!  Check out Word Theatre my friends!  It was a great night!














No comments: