Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Weekend...

Despite the fact that I have been fighting an irritating cold all weekend - it ruled!

I took Friday off work to give myself a longer weekend and started the day on my deck with a cup of coffee enjoying the quiet before the kiddies arrived at the day care.  I also took this time to clean and get my grocery shopping done.  So - chores for the weekend - DONE!

Keri had given the pirate ship from the party to one of my friends kids and since I am the only one with a truck I get to transport it.  Shane arrived to help me load it in my truck and off I went.  I will say this, when the garage opened and the little red headed darling who was getting this ship saw me - smiled - then saw the ship and literally beamed it made the whole thing worthwhile.  After that I headed down to Laguna to say hi to Jay and goodbye to his beautiful house he had just sold.  I was also picking up a few things he had given my mom.  We just had a short visit since he was so exhausted and I was off.

I snapped a photo of the room I always stayed in.  Goodbye room!

And goodbye to this gorgeous view!!!!

Then back home to literally cook.  This is the time I have realized the bad part of where I live.  My place is a caboose that has NO INSULATION.  It is so friggin hot!!!  I do have a beat up old window air conditioner unit that sticks out of my bedroom wall.  I run this on high all day with the windows in the back closed and the blinds drawn.  It keeps the back somewhat cool.  Not really cool but cool enough not to die.  This makes me feel like I won't fry my cats.  But the front part of the place.  Holy good god.  I have a fan but it pretty much just blows the hot air on me.  Lord.  My cold also took a turn for the worse this evening.  Blergh.  I did end up at one point with my feet in a cold bucked of water sitting in front of my fan rubbing ice all over my body.  Yes.  I know.  So hot right?

Saturday morning I opted out of boxing to try to beat the cold and laid around my mom's air conditioned house all day doing my laundry.  My friend's wedding was that evening and I was determined to not miss it.  This is my friend Michele who I worked with at the opera and she pretty much got me the job at Chapman. I've known her for years.  She's such a beautiful person and has been dating not cool guys in the past.  She met this fellow Chuck and they fell totally in love.  He adores her and I'm so happy for her I could burst!!!!  She got married at Chapman's Interfaith Chapel.
When we walked in the tables were already set up with our assigned seating.  I was surprised as I had never seen this set up before!  So convenient!  The tables looked gorgeous!





My wonderful date:




This is my awesome boss and her hubs and my co-worker Tianna and her hubs.  I adore both of these women so very much!!

She had these wonderful musicians playing as we arrived:



The beautiful bride!!!!




I of course burst into tears the second she walked out.  Mixed with my cold this made for a very unattractive snotty mess.  Oh yes.  Hot stuff.

Sealing the deal!

I adore her so very much and am so happy!!!!

The food was incredible.  We started with stuffed red peppers filled with some kind of creamy yummy cheese.  Then we had this amazing creation - mozzarella, pesto, pears, prosciutto.  Oh. My. God..  It almost killed me to eat it but it was worth the pain!


Then my entree was sea bass.  Seriously, melted in my mouth.  For dessert we had a selection of a truffle, chocolate mouse, key lime pie.  OH. MY. GOD.
When they brought the cake I almost fainted.  Jay snarkily says "You can't not eat the cake - it curses the bride and groom!"  Damn it.  Mom and I force down a bite.  Amazing.

She had opera singers throughout, of course:




It was a perfect celebration of the love these two have for each other!  Congrats so many times over to Michele and Chuck!!!

Sunday morning started with a "My Favorite Things" party that my friend Julie hosted.  I adore this girl because she takes a theme party and runs with it!  Apparently this idea was a combination of Pinterest and Oprah.  Basically you arrive with three identically wrapped gifts of your favorite things.  You pick one and bring three of them.  She had our names printed out three times and we put those pieces of paper folded up into a jar.  She had a brunch to start and we all brought something to share.  I brought an amazing danish I love from Sprouts.  Her set up was so friggin awesome!  Check out the mimosa bar!!!  And yes that's her trying to dodge the picture:
Someone brought these adorable cupcakes!

Here was the gift table.  I of course brought my favorite thing - wine.  The limit was $10 and Cupcake Wine is only $9.99 at Rods.  So I picked up three Pinot Noir's.



After brunch we all were to draw three names from the jar.  You couldn't pick your own name or a double of someone else.  Then we would go around the room and which ever three names you had, you gave them your gifts.  You also explained why it was your favorite.  Julie had us tell a bit about it before the people opened it then finish after you knew what it was.  So cute!!!  I personally received an iPhone case so that I can take my phone in water and it's protected.  Perfect for races!  A bath and body set and a $10  Barnes and Noble gift card.  The gift card was from Keri and her's was so creative!  She took construction paper and cut out a bunch of images of her favorite things.  On the back was the gift card!  So original!  Other gifts were a chafing cream (seriously it's the bomb!  I use it!), race food, scarves, soap and one gal had a combo of stuff she said she used daily which was nailpolish, chapstick and gum.  Every gift was totally different and it was so fun to see what everyone brought.  And you went home with three gifts of your own!  It was a really cute idea and a fun party.  Thanks Julie!!!

I took it easy the rest of the day, nursing the cold but hit up sushi dinner later that night with Ber.

Today was spent lounging at the pool with D.  Beautiful day and so nice to just relax.  I also decided this weekend to start a photo a day blog and hope I can stick with it.  I'm enjoying coming up with random little things to stay creative!

I enjoyed celebrating the weekend by not "Laboring" really at all! 


No comments: