Wednesday, June 26, 2013

DOMA and Prop 8 - later bitches!



I feel the need to write a blog about the way I am feeling today.

Today the Supreme Court ruled DOMA unconstitutional and trumped Prop 8 here in California.  When I heard the news I could not stop crying.  Tears of joy.  Tears of relief. 

I honestly don’t consider myself super political.  Yes, I’m a leftie for sure.  Yes, I’m a bleeding liberal hippie who just wants everyone to be happy.  Yes I’m compassionate to a fault.  But that’s how I feel.  I’m not much of a fighter anymore.  I support my active friends 100% and help where I can but that’s the extent.  I’m not out there marching.  I’m not out there screaming.  I’m not out there getting into constant debates with people.  I just don’t have it in me anymore.  I used to yes, but that fight is gone.  What I have realized is that’s perfectly ok.  There are those who are out there marching, yelling, fighting and I stand behind them completely.  I’ve learned to accept who I am and work on changing what is directly around me.  That is what I can do. 

BUT – Prop 8.  This one did get the fires inside me burning.  This one broke my heart.  I have lost one friendship based on my belief and drifted away from a handful more based on this.  I’m ok with that.  I don’t need those people in my life right now.  I cannot wrap my head around why people think it is wrong for two people who love each other to get married.  I honestly never will be able to wrap my head around that.  It doesn’t make sense.  It’s unnatural.  It’s not humane.  I’m sure I wouldn’t have done too well back in the day when segregation was an issue (and blows my mind it still is some places).  AGAIN – WTF?  Who gives a flying rat’s ass what color you are, what your sexuality is, what your religion is, what baseball team you route for.  Seriously people.  Get the hell over it.

We are people.  We are human beings.  We are living creatures.  We should treat each other with love and respect and appreciation.  We should treat all living things this way.  Love.  Laugh.  Live.  Be kind.  Be grateful.  DON’T BE A DICK. 

I cried so hard this morning because we are moving in the right direction.  Progressive action is taking place.  I do think it takes too damn long, but patience right?  Well finally - a big win today.  I am a proud ally and so happy I’m having a hard time putting into words how much this makes my heart swell.  People I love can get married.  People I love have the same rights I do.  I had said I would never get married again until this happened.  Well – maybe love really is on its way to me.  But I will say this – today the energy in the air is so full of love.   You can feel it.  I’m so happy.  So grateful.  So amazed. 

I am loving seeing the good in the world.  I find myself arguing with some that there is still good out there, we just unfortunately glorify the bad.  I do believe, strongly believe, that there is more good people out there than bad.  Today was a great day to see that. 

I’m happy. 
So happy.
DOMA and Prop 8 – don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!



No comments: