Monday, May 27, 2013

Bubble Run...

D and I signed up for The Bubble Run to take place at UCI over Memorial Day weekend.  There was a deal that went out, so it was super cheap.  It was just the two of us since the run fell on a holiday weekend.  I love trying out new runs and we had never yet done something called a Bubble Run.  D is usually game to try out these wacky races with me.  My conclusion - It was fun but I wouldn't do it again.

We decided to tu-tu it up this time and mom/Shane came to support and take photos so we got a lot of good ones!  Shane got there a bit late so he didn't make it in any of the pictures but he was there! ;)Here we are pre-race:







We checked in, got ready and headed in.  The race was supposed to start at 9am.  It didn't start until 9:25am.  Ugh.  We found out later that random people and late comers were in the way on the course.  Mom/Shane told us there was no one monitoring the course really.  I had already noticed that the volunteers were kids that could care less, so I wasn't all that surprised.  As I looked around I realized this was definitely a family event.  I didn't see too many actual runners but saw a lot of kids/families/strollers.  This isn't a deal breaker for me necessarily because I like to do the "Fun Runs" rather than just straight 5K's.  There was an MC trying to pump people up, but wasn't succeeding very well.  Finally the race began!








This little one apparently was having none of it:





 Mom was cracking up at the fact that this baby was totally engulfed.  Don't worry baby was fine:


 Here we are!!!


As we ran through the course I realized they should have had 2 runs.  A family/kids run and a regular run.  The people had no runners etiquette at all, they were walking 5 people across, stopping, chatting, screwing around.  I didn't want to mind but it was getting really difficult to maneuver through this.  We fell into my power walk pace but kept having to run around people, go off track, etc.  That was a bummer.


1st Bubble Bog we hit was the pink one.  Sadly the bubble machine wasn't on and the bubbles were flat and lame.  I was worried it was going to be like this the whole way, but it wasn't.  Our next Bubble Bog was the yellow one.  They were full flowing and fun.  We tore through laughing like kids. Next Bubble Bog was the blue one.  This was one was quite large.  D had her Go Pro again, but it wasn't working very well.  We did attempt to take some shots in the blue bubbles.





After this we realized we were starting to run the same course again.  They had laid the course out so you actually ran the same one twice.  Except the 2nd time you didn't go through the Bubble Bogs, you went around them.  A lot of people went under the ribbon and jumped through the bubbles anyway.  D and I agreed this was somewhat lame.  I like new sights, not running the same course twice.  So that was also a bummer.

The volunteers AKA kids who didn't care were not very helpful.  There were a couple who would cheer you on, but not many.  What was super cute was the volunteers at the bogs had the same color T-Shirts as the bubbles!  Loved that.

When we finally looped through the 2nd time and came across the part you break off to finish the race.  About this time we also realized there was no way this was a 5K.  I think it may have been 2 or 2 1/2 miles but not 3.  There were a lot of hills though it seemed, so we did get somewhat of a workout which was great.  I love these runs, even if they aren't all that great - I still look at it as a creative work out!

As we circled around one of the hills we saw the finish.  It was a green Bubble Bog and it was full flowing.  Shane got a couple of great shots:



Here was the 1st couple of dudes through the bubbles:




This one was hilarious.  Apparently a lot of the kids got lost in the bubbles and came out on the side:



Here are some more coming through:



Here come D and I through the final bubbles!



Our feet were awesome.  Bubble Shoes!!




Shane then got photographer on us and positioned us here to take our after race shots:





The after party was nothing.  There didn't seem to be any vendors.  There was one vitamin like water people handing out free bottles.  No medals.  The DJ was there but not doing anything.  There was another white Bubble Bog if you just wanted to play in the bubbles.  They had some photo thing in front of a green screen we did and then a merchant tent.  A few food trucks and that was it.  I would be more disappointed if we had paid more but it certainly wasn't all that.  Part of the fun for me on these wacky runs is the after stuff.  Ah well. 

D and I still had a fun time and we all went to Arthur's for breakfast afterwards.  The looks we got from the patrons was awesome.  D looked like she was crying green tears and my legs looked like I had gangrene.  Good times all around and below is my favorite shot of the whole day.  It's D and I racing up the hill after our green screen picture and I screamed at Shane to snap a shot. 

Awesomeness.
























No comments: