Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chapman 5K 2012

So I wasnt going to do this because last year staff got to do it for free and this year we had to pay. And I believe at the time it was like $35 which I didnt really want to pay. Well, one of my co-workers with whom I have a healthy competition with, offered to buy my registration. I laughed and said, you will run it and I'll power walk it! We wont even do it together! He scoffed and said I had to do it and registered me. Then my head blew up. But I survived as you all know. Thank GAWD. We werent sure if I was going to be up to doing it but as it got closer I realized I was perfectly fine to walk it. I wouldnt walk/jog like I did last year, just walk. I found out another co-worker of mine, who is an avid walker, was doing it as well so we decided to walk it together. It was perfect, because he walks really fast and we had a great brisk walk! So I rolled out of bed and got there about 7 and we met up. Streched and chatted and the race began. I brought my iphone and took pictures along the way since we were power walking it! We actually finsished in 42 minutes! Not bad for power walking! So below is my photo tale of the race! Dennis and I ready to walk!
As we started out Pete the Panther was cheering everyone on!
Last year there was this guy on his porch playing the trombone as we ran by. I loved him. The course was different this year and I was telling Dennis I didnt think we were going to run by his house. But I was thrilled to see he came out anyway!!!
As we rounded the corner to pass St. Johns Lutheren Church, I had been told they were planning something very cool for the 5K. They did not dissappoint!!! They had a band playing great upbeat music:
They decked out the whole street!
And had the most adorable little cheerleaders!
I was trying to photograph the thing video taping us, but I think I got Dennis!!
Chapman had their band playing!
Dennis and I finished!!
Some other co-workers! Dave is next to me - he's the one who bought my way in!
It was a fun morning! I then went home, showered, vegged for a bit and had to turn around to work the beer/wine garden & Chili Fest for Homecoming. I dont mind volunteering for some things at Chapman because I'm finally working somewhere I love! The couple with Rachel and I are parents of a Chapman student and were just lovely. Everyone was pleasant and Homecoming & Family Weekend at Chapman is always awesome to see. Beaming parents walking around and getting involved, the air buzzing with excitement, and lots of smiling faces. One of my biggest regrets in life is never having that college experience. I could just picture my mom and dad sporting my college gear and getting invovled in everything. At least I get to watch it at my job! We also had a fuzzy little friend who helped us today. His name is Tiger and one of my favorite moments was when Pete the Panther came and said hello and Tiger was readdy to take him out:
Our job. And yes, we were making sure the beer and wine were yummy to drink! ;)

No comments: