Friday, May 4, 2012

Childhood friends...

What is it about childhood friends that makes you have a bond stronger than no other? I have a few friends with whom I have never lost contact. I also have a few friends with whom we only see each other once in awhile. I also have a few friends with whom I didnt see for years and years and we re-connected and it was like no time had passed. It's truly amazing when you have a connection with certain people. I wonder sometimes why it seems to be so incredible with old friends. Maybe it's because we met each other at such a young age, where differences didnt matter. Innocence was still hanging on. Life hadnt happened to us yet. I love it. I love that I have so many of these friends. My two oldest friends actually are boys. Mike and Paul. Mike and I played in the sandbox together in pre-school. Paul and I were boyfriend/girlfriend when we were 3 years old. Then there's Libby. My best friend in the whole world. We were neighborhood kids who became friends due to her one eye'd cat. We have been best friends ever since. Yes, you get older and have lots of best friends but Libby will always be THE best friend. She hasnt changed. Our friendship is stronger than ever. Then I have Robin. We met because she got held back in 4th grade and we clicked. I love this girl. She gave birth to my godson who is now a teenager. I've always protected her. I always will. Susan I met in girl scouts about 3rd grade. We used to collect lady bugs out in the field in elementary school and make bracelets out of flowers. I remember when we both got sent to the principals office because she brought her pet mouse to school one day. Her mom and my mom now take yoga together. This girl is one of the strongest women I know. And speaking of strong women, there's Cori. We met in High School and got in a world of trouble together. This girl and I have been to Hell and back together. I would do anything for her. Then there are the friends I have re-connected with after many years. Ceasar. A popular boy in High School. We were friends but not super close. Now we hang once in awhile and laugh and I try to get him to keep up with me in my boxing bootcamp. And of course Kasi. Our personalities are so similar. We were tennis partners in High School and were fucking amazing at it. I remember getting suspended from a couple of games because I hurled my tennis racket at an opposing team because they kept hurling balls unfairly at Kasi. She's a spitfire and I'm thrilled we've re-connected. Then of course now adays there's facebook where I've gotten back in touch with a crap load of childhood friends and we see what each other is doing and comment on each others accomplishments. It really is interesting. But there is something about those friends that have stayed friends. Those friends whom I trust with my life and those friends with whom years can pass and it doesnt matter that bond is still there. I truly feel honored to have so many friends from my childhood still in my life. We've been through alot together. I love each and every one of you.

No comments: