Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The too close for comfort little hummingbird...

Such a random occurrence I had to share.
T and I were chillin during one of our normal Wed eve’s together. We came out onto my patio to have a cig before ANTM.
Buzz, buzz.
T looks at me. “You hear that?”
“Its probably just a bug” I reply.
Buzz, buzz – this time louder.
I too realize its something other then a bug.
I notice the sound coming from a netting overhang above the papsan.
There he is. A little hummingbird with a red chest, caught in the netting. This is the 3rd little bugger this has happened too. I holler for my mother, not in the mood to dodge a freaked out bird like the last 2 times. She comes out and frees him.
He darts through the patio and lands on the plant stand a few feet away. Mom returns inside. You’d think this would be the end.
No.
As T and I are sitting out there, this little dude flies back and forth, freaking out. He’d either land on the plant (RIGHT ABOVE MY HEAD), the plant stand or the stand up fan that’s standing pretty much between me and T. We also have bloody handprints on the kitchen window for Halloween that he seems to think is food. Back and forth. Back and forth. This is a little unnerving, if only for the fact he could care less that there’s 2 people chillin out there with him. T and I continue to dodge him but are fascinated. I start to feel bad. We’re thinking he wont leave due to the fact that its dark and he has no idea where he is. This continues on for quite a while. After another attempt at the hands he falls to the ground for a moment, but then back around.
At one point, when he’s on the fan – his long clear tongue comes whipping out. Now, I’ve never been this close to witness this sort of thing. I stare in awe as T is mortified.
My guilt takes over, so I climb up to unhook the hummingbird feeder that he cant seem to find and I hang it over the plant stand he seems to favor. It takes him a few flutters around but he finally finds it. He drinks and drinks and drinks. This seemed to be the answer. He lands again on the plant stand and actually does a little happy dance.
T and I mosey back inside to watch our show and when we return he’s gone. Hopefully the little bugger found his way, but I must say it was quite an interesting thing to watch.

No comments: