Saturday, October 3, 2020

Here a cache, there a cache, everywhere a cache cache...

Still do it.
Still obsessed.
Still want to cache them all!!

I love when caching brings me to beautiful places right around the corner from me.  Since I moved - one of those places is Oak Canyon Nature Reserve.  Get there.  It's gorgeous!

Easy find right at the beginning!



Can you hear the water?

So pretty

Could the cache be in there?

It sure can!  Left a dragon and took a necklace for Elise

I mean it was in the title of the cache....

Gorgeous


So in the midst of the COVID-19 lockdown I did find a couple caches.  There was one at the tiny little park down the street from our new home and one up by Robbers Peak.  Both took a few tries to find but I got em!!!

The 1st one was at the little park - It was one of those cool rocks that have a false bottom!  So rad and super hard to find actually since there was a lot of fallen leaves causing a massive amount of ground cover.

The hint was "on the other side of the fence"
Is that a rock?
Nope it's a cache!

 

I got another fun surprise and earned a souvenir! 

Container is all melted but you could still log it!

The view from Robbers Peak


One Saturday when the weather wasn't too hot, I got a little stir crazy (We're still on COVID-19 lockdown) and I wanted to do some caching.  I've started a little list in my Cache profile and trying to tag caches in places I haven't seen around me.  Mostly parks and trails.  I was able to convince the boy and kiddo to get out and he suggested a picnic lunch at Box Canyon Park in Yorba Linda.  Perfect!!

We sat under a pretty tree in the shade, had a lovely lunch, found a the one cache in the park then wandered down the road a bit to find a 2nd.  It got a little hot but just as we arrived a car pulled up behind us and we heard a woman yell "Are you guys geocaching!?"  Oh my god!!!  I have never run into another geocacher while caching!!!  I squealed Yes and she told us what it looked like and pointed in the general direction of the location.  I was so thrilled to actually run into a cacher while caching!!! 

Cute Rocks on our walk!


Street Cache!  Seymore was over it


Fun hide!  No log though :(

Tree gazing



Hit up another park!  Tri-City Park in Brea/Placentia area.  They had 3 caches, a lake and we needed to get out of the house.  It was a lovely day of successful Geocaching!  I give the boyfriend credit here - he did most the finding this time!


1st one was pretty easy.  I knew where it was based on the hint, but before I could start to climb the boyfriend hopped up and found it!

Beat me to it!

Our little biker


This one was easy to get to, but you had to feel under to find it.  It was so cobwebby and lots of bugs!  Pat braved it and I made a mental note to start bringing gloves


I failed as a cacher here.  I literally poked at this and was like..."That's not it".  Well Pat went back and was like "Yes it is!".  Derp.  Left a little swag in this one

A lovely afternoon!


We were able to get another not too hot weekend (It's October FYI) and hit up another couple of parks on my list.  Now - one of these was a Mystery Cache!  I'm not sure I've done one of these yet.  It was crazy complicated but I was hell bent on figuring it out.  One Sat morning Pat and I deliberated over this damn thing for a couple of hours.  There were tons of letter/number combos, it referred to the "Sink my Battleship" game and Pat was convinced it had something to do with Excel.  After we entered everything we could not figure it out.  UGH!!!  I finally reached out to someone for a hint and the guy said something about shading and look at it again.  So I went back and changed all our x's in Excel to shading and as I was doing so, Elise over my shoulder said "It looks like a QR Code."  OH MY GOD SHE'S RIGHT!!!  After I finished, I scanned it and BAM - we got the coordinates!  Verified and all!

 



So  - we headed out to Yorba Linda Lakebed Park.  Sadly this ended up being quite the fail.  This isn't a park like you'd think of a park.  It's more of a place with dirt trails.  Elise was able to ride her bike a bit but it was so damn hot and our dog was dying, we just couldn't stay.  We did find one cache though called "Jerk"  rightfully so.  Damn thing was in a cactus field and I still have 2 stickers in my thumb but it was a big ol cool one!

Fuck you Cactus!

One of the biggest caches I've seen yet!

Now - we attempted to go to the coordinates of the Mystery Cache, but it was so hot and miserable and we just didn't have the time to really search.  We did a quick glance around but all agreed we'll have to come back when it's cooler.  Sigh.  So the Mystery Cache is still a damn mystery.


Determined not to have a total fail day - we hit up another smaller park that had one cache and Elise was able to ride around and there was shade and it was an easy cache in a tree find so yay!!


The name was Koala something...it was in a bamboo tree!

So here I am!  Still stuck in a Pandemic.  This particular blog started in Feb, Lockdown hit and uprooted our lives, then started kinda caching again and sort of trying to find some sense of normalcy and now it's October.  We're still in restricted mode and cases are probably going to spike in the Fall, but at least we can still get out now.  With the weather cooling down - I'm hoping to do a hell of a lot more caching!!!  More blogs to come!


Looking forward to dragging more people on my cache adventures!


No comments: