Wednesday, July 31, 2013

John Mayer and a dog beach...

I love listening to John Mayer.
I love listening to Dave Matthews and Jack Johnson as well who all seem to fall into the same sort of realm, musically.   They are jammy, chill, excellent musicians and I always find myself smiling and moving when they pop on my iPod.

I've seen Dave Matthews live before and he is outstanding.  But I've never seen Jack Johnson or John Mayer.  Until last weekend.

I had heard John Mayer was going to be playing at Verizon Amphitheater and was quite excited.  I have a friend who works there who hooked me up with some great prices and VIP bonus stuff.  I love and thank her so very much!
My original date couldn't make it, so after finding out that not a lot of my friends care for John Mayer all that much (totally shocked me) I ended up with a very excited Jill.  Yay!  She rules and I knew would be a perfect date!  So - Saturday arrived.



We got a bit turned around but finally found our way into the theater.  We were directed to VIP parking.  The only time I think I've ever had an anxiety attack was when I had VIP parking last time I came here to see 311 and was directed to back in against a chain link fence in between 2 ginormous trucks in a space no normal truck should fit.  T and I could barely squeeze out of my truck and the whole process freaked me the hell out.  As we drove up towards the parking I was thrilled to be directed into an actual lot.  THANK GAWD.  As we parked I noticed a lot of people tail gating in the lot.  Like with picnic tables and shit.  Awesome - and note to self if I get to do this again!

We stopped by the box office to give hugs and loves and thanks to my friend who handed us a couple of drink tickets and sent us on our way.  Um rad!

We promptly hit the VIP bar feeling very special and got ourselves a glass of wine.  We found a little couch and made ourselves comfy and started to catch up.  We hadn't seen each other in a while so we had lots to talk about.  We heard Philip Phillips, the opening band, begin and decided to stay put.  We were having too much fun already!



When we did finally make it over to our seats for John, they were awesome!  So close!  This pic doesn't do it justice but we had fantastic seats.  Center, I could see him and his band clearly, it was perfection!  I also have to say I dig the seats at Verizon - you actually have leg room, and when people pass in front of you there is room!



So John begins.  He was just fabulous.  His saxophone player - Rob Reynolds was fucking awesome!  The smooth way he played that instrument matched some of my favorite blues artists.  He picked up a clarinet later in the set and played her beautifully as well.  At one point there were two drummers.  They did a fantastic set together bouncing back and forth and almost challenging each other.  Loved it.  His entire band was flawless.  It was such a perfectly groovy evening.  The images in the background were a trip, made me feel like I was on an acid trip.  And John Mayer - he was just lovely.  I had been told he was super sexy when he played, and I will say yes - he was  - BUT, I have seen so many brilliant blues artists that play just as he does.  It's hard to explain but you can see them feel the music with each strum.  Some sing their licks.  He mouthed them a bit but he felt every one.  It does honestly look as if they are having sex with the music they are playing.  I love it.  That to me is such musicianship.  Feeling it so much that your audience feels it right along with you.  He was quite humble as well, constantly thanking everyone and acknowledging the great artists around him as well. People have mentioned he's a jerk, a womanizer, etc.  But I don't follow celebrity gossip really at all.  What I can say is John Mayer is a wonderful musician and put on a great show.

Part two of this blog I wanted to mention my latest trip to the beach.  I was exhausted from the night before at the concert and half considered canceling on my friend who I was supposed to meet at the beach relatively early.  She has a giant Great Dane whom I adore and takes him to a beach that I didn't know until Sunday was a dog beach.  It's right where Huntington kisses up to Newport Beach and the Santa Ana river flows into the ocean.

After many grumbles and yawns, I loaded my bike into my truck and headed down.  I parked on Brookhurst and rode the Pink Panther down to where she told me to go.  I begrudgingly locked my bike up to a chain link fence since she promised me it would be ok, then we headed out and plopped our stuff down at a vacant spot and collapsed.  It was a chilly overcast day so I was annoyed because I had worn my suit hoping to get a little color.  But I noticed something.  Within in minutes of sitting there scratching her giant dog behind the ears, visiting with my dear friend and inhaling the salty smell of the ocean, everything fell away.  We would sometimes go into the water and play fetch with Blue or just wade around.  A few times we ran around so he could chase/play with us.  Always in the awe struck faces of those around us.  I do love the reactions to his size.  We would wander back to our spot and just lay there or talk or people/dog watch.  The sun never did come out and I only stayed a few hours (due to the fact I HAD TO get so much done that day) but it was perfect.

I forget how much I love the beach.  It doesn't matter what the weather is like, it's home.  Fatima made the comment - "This is my zen.  Here at the dog beach".  She's right.  As I leaned back and patted Blue and looked around at the happy dogs and people running around, watching them play, watching the pure joy all around, listening to the ocean's song and breathing her in.  Perfection.  I rode my bike back to my truck with a big smile on my face and made a note to get down here more often.  It certainly doesn't take much for Mother Nature to remind me why I'm so happy in her arms.




No comments: