Thursday, April 7, 2011

R.A.D....

Well, as you saw by my last blog...Warrior Dash. A few days prior to that I took a R.A.D. Self Defense Class. This stands for Rape Aggression Defense. Since I've been on a kick to do active interesting things as of late (Sadly my financial situation will be slowing this down ALOT) I figured this class would be a go. Its free. Its through the public safety department at my work. Why not? Its a 3 day class - 4 hours a nite after work. The 1st nite was lecturing about rape. No means no. Etc. We had about 8 gals in our class. I'm not going to say I was bored. But I have no problem being aggressive. I know no means no. Some douche bag tries to test that, he only will once. I'm just not that girl. But - I think this class is perfect for girls who need something like this. The 2nd night was our instructor teaching us all the techniques. The first being how to yell. She tested me, laughed and said "Good voice!" "Actor" I responded. But most of the girls had a hard time with this. Then the fight styles. Very similar to karate. I aced it of course. Not to brag, but I've trained to box, took karate for a few years and am just a feisty girl as you all know. I took to this like a fish to water. All the other girls were so amazed by my strength, how hard I punched and kicked and how skilled I was. I was flattered, but modest too - trying to convince these women I've had training - you have not - theres a difference. Day 3 we fight the R.A.D. men. These are 2 cops padded to the nine that attack us in 3 different scenarios - we fight back proving we learned how to defend ourselves in class. I was surprised that all the girls (even the one who took the class before) were nervous! Some of them were saying "I"m not going to be able to fight. I'm too weak. I'm too scared. I'm embarrased. We want to watch you fight Jami!". I was in awe. The 8 of us stood together in the hallway with padded helmuts, elbow braces, knee braces and hand things and all the girls were so scared. I was so excited! I tried to pump them up. "Its going to be awesome!" "We get to fight these guys! For real!" "Your are all going to do so well!!!" We started being taken into the room one by one. We were not allowed to see the gals fight before us, but were able to stay and watch the ones fight after us. This of course was to keep us from seeing what scenario we were walking into.
The 1st scenario we were "At an ATM at night" Our goal in all 3 scenarios is to get away. There was a taped off area, and once we passed a certain part we were "free". 1st dude comes up behind, bear hugs you and takes you to the ground. None of us were expecting that. We didnt really practice for that one. (I actually thought he just lost his balance) I found out later, I was the only one he didnt get a grip on. An old move from karate and my dad I leared was to arch, so as we were going down I did just that and rolled with him then right off him. I kicked him in the head and took off. I met the dude 2 blocking my way, and I also found out I was the only one that ran right at him instead of trying to run around him. I leaped up and punched his head, knocking him down (I dont believe he was expecting that) and literally ran over him to my spot. The 2 gals who watched me shrieked with excitement. Scenario 2 we were "Walking in a park". I honestly dont really remember what I did here...but 4 of the girls were in this time and thier cheering made me feel great, knowing I did something pretty cool :). Scenario 3, which is the video you see here (and I think after you watch mine, you can see the other girls if you like). We were to stand there with our eyes closed until one of the dudes actually touched us. When I saw this video I realized why all the other girls were cheering me on, and loving to watch me fight. I do just that. I fight. Hell I got so in to it I almost fall over from the momentum I had going after the guy! ha ha!! Unfortunatly I did hurt one of them they told me later, I guess I caught him pretty good across the temple. Ooops! :)
I was quite proud of how well I did in this class, and how strong I actually am. The cops teased me later on saying I should join the UFC and calling me Mohammed Ali. They also used me as an example alot with the others girls, saying I was an exception. I was strong and quick.
But this is what really stuck out with me in this class. The other girls. The change in them after our fights. These girls, these timid girls who couldnt yell, who were so nervous to fight, who didnt think they could actually fight the cops - Kicked Ass!!! I felt like a proud mama watching these girls do such a great job, remembering what the instructor taught them. Fighting. Yelling. Doing so well. And best of all thier beaming smiles at the end of class, thier confidence!!!
These are girls that might have frozen up if they were ever attacked, thinking they could not defend themselves and now know they can fight back.
This has inspired me. I emailed my instructor telling her I was interested in being an instructor. Every women should take this class, especially those who are timid and shy and weak and dont think they can defend themselves. It was a great experience, and I'm so happy these girls did so well!!!!

No comments: